The captain speaks. Steven Gerrard says not even a win in the Champions League will ease the pain of Liverpool's failure in the Premier League. Gerrard concedes the Reds are playing for fourth, and essentially blames the drama surrounding the team.
Consider this calendar of events that has plagued Liverpool this season--remember how Liverpool was running away with the league in the first few weeks; how is this team 17 points back of Arsenal?
- Rafa's falling out with American owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett
- Gillett and Hicks' relationship explodes
- Gillett considering selling his share of the club to Dubai International Capital
- Continued uncertainty over the construction of the team's new stadium
- Massive debt incurred because of the new stadium proposal
- Break-ins at the homes of Liverpool players while the team is on the road
- Betting scandal surfaces around the team's Champions League qualifier win over Besiktas
SportsGranola picks up on Gerrard's frustrations
CaughtOffside chimes in too.