OK, so the last time I had premonitions and make prognostications, you only had to wait a few days to see how I did. After today's post, we'll have to check in 10 years! Bummer man!
Any way, I've tried to avoid the temptation to do any end-of-the-decade lists, but to no avail, I'm going to look ahead instead. Here's 10 things I expect to happen before 2020 (and no, I'm not going to far out on a limb).
- Gambling and match-fixing scandals worsen and by decade's end topple a major European club, sending them tumbling worse than Juventus.
- Steroids invade football in a big way. Lesser known players at first, but eventually, big names will tumble and we'll be dumbfounded how we never saw it coming.
- Video replay will be instituted soon in all football matches, and it will decide a major championship (i.e., a Champions League final)
- Scottish football's top division will dissolve and be integrated into the Premiership.
- To that end, the Premier League will adopt U.S.-style playoffs and crown a champion in a Super Bowl-type of final.
- An African team will not win a World Cup
- An Asian team will.
- The United States will not advance beyond the quarterfinals of either the 2014 or 2018 World Cup.
- Just prior to the 2018 World Cup, which will be held in the U.S, MLS will abandon its current single-entity ownership system and open its purse strings to attract major European and South American players.
- Jose Mourinho will coach Portugal to the 2018 World Cup title in the U.S., winning the championship in New Jersey at the new Giants Stadium in front of a partizan "home" crowd of Ports from NJ and Massachusetts.
Happy Holidays boys and girls. This is probably it for me for the year. Be safe.