- Rafa Benitez will not be fired at Liverpool. Instead, to solve the club's ever-inflating debt, LFC will be sold to Barcelona and Liverpool will officially become FC Barcelona-Liverpool. See, since Barcelona pulled out of its MLS-Miami deal, they have all this petty cash hanging around. And see, since Liverpool has Benitez and mostly all these Spanish player, see, it makes, like, y'know, total sense.
- Sporting Lisbon, keeping with its fine tradition of cultivating and selling off its best young players, will package Miguel Veloso, Joao Moutinho and a slew of future Figos and Ronaldos to Manchester United. See, Sporting needs new fields at its storied Academy and real estate is expensive in Portugal. And, see, United always pays top dollar. You get it...
- Landon Donovan will extend his deal with Everton to the end of the Premier League season. A la Becks, Donovan wants to stay in shape and maintain his spot on the U.S. National Team. Sources inside the Everton camp say, however, the real reason is that Donovan is so little and cute, the big burly Brits like to just pick him up and carry him around.
- Chelsea is expected to file an injunction against its African players Michael Essien, Didier Drogba, Flourent Malouda, Salomon Kalou and any others who may ditch the Blues for a month to play in the African Cup of Nations. See, the Russian oligarch who pays the bills wants to win the Premier League and the Champions League and I guess this is the first time he took a close look at his roster and realized that the bulk of his best players are GOING TO BE GONE for the toughest stretch of the league season. You don't mess with the Oligarch, man.
- And finally, Real Madrid, desperate to play in the Champions League final being held in its home stadium, has put out formal offers to every big club in Europe to sign its best players. It's just business man, just business.
Thursday, January 7, 2010
Five Silly Season Football Transfer Rumors
Since it's the Silly Season, we're grinding the rumor mill over here at Starting Eleven: