If you're nostalgic and can appreciate symmetry, Manchester United's title-clinching win yesterday was absolutely orgasmic. Not only does the face of the new guard of football, Cristiano Ronaldo, all but lock up the championship with a penalty kick 33 minutes in, but graybeard Ryan Giggs salts away his 10th winners' medal with the goal that made the 2-0 final 10 minutes from the close.
The championship is United's 10th in 16 years, and sends the Reds bouncing into next week's Champions League final against Chelsea, which not only drew at home against Bolton, but may have lost John Terry to a dislocated elbow, and Didier Drogba to a banged-up knee.
In the end, United is a fitting champion. Man. U. was the best side, consistently from November on, and if not for a brutally difficult March and April schedule that allowed Chelsea to creep back into contention, this would not have gone to the final weekend.
Here's a jaunt around the football blogosphere, dedicated to the final weekend of the Premiership and Manchester United's championship:
- 101 Great Goals has a complete roundup from the British press.
- If you're visual, Manchester United Highlights has all the video.
- Is this team the greatest in Manchester United history? Ask Bonjour Planet Earth.
- EPL Talk is rather ho-hum over the Reds' championship.
- SMG reflects on the Reds' win over Wigan.
- The Shed End has all the headlines you need.
- Take heart Chelsea fans, Soccer Mamak says the Blues are going to pursue Lionel Messi.
- World Football News has the Arsenal point of view.
- RedDevils is all a-tither.
- English Soccer Talk has a couple of interesting posts on playoffs and the Premiership.