Thursday, October 9, 2008

Starting Eleven Football Blog Roundup

I'm amused. I have some great people who visit my personal space here on the Internet; and they come from all over the world. I have guests from Singapore, China, South America, Turkey, Africa and lots from the U.S. I'm so humbled and tickled that I have such a diverse readership and I hope they leave my site somewhat satisfied. It's cool, really.

I try to give you some bang for your buck, either via a definite opinion on an issue, entertaining art work or a poll that you feel compelled to answer. I don't do anything with the results, but I do check them a lot. The most recent poll I put up--which is still here, for a few more days anyway--asks you to pick the best football league in the world. I listed everyone I could think of that might be of interest of someone, and included the always-valuable "Other" button to cover any that I missed.

And really, to no one's surprise, the Premier League was the runaway winner. Of the 58 votes case, 37 voted for the English league. While this is not a scientific sample by any means, I think it's on the money. LaLiga finished second with six votes and closing in fast was MLS with five.

Yes, MLS.

And for a while, MLS was tied for second.

So what does this say, boys and girls? Well, some analysis of the comments I get from my readers tells me that I have a somewhat educated bunch of surfers who happen here. It's unlikely they think MLS is anywhere near the third best league in the world. So this tells me that my visitors have a sense of humor, a sense of sarcasm and self-deprication--and I love that. I kinda wish they'd made MLS No. 1.

Hell, why not? MLS has to be No. 1 in something.

Enough ranting, here's this week's trip around the football blogosphere:

  • EPL Talk is a must-stop today. Gaffer chimes in on Michel Platini's continued war against English football, especially foreign ownership and foreign players making up the bulk of the rosters on these clubs. Again, is this free enterprise or not? If these clubs want to spend outside of England and bring in talent from Qatar or Quebec, isn't it their privilege? You want to enforce parity Platini? Bring in the salary cap.
  • Just like Fox News, we're fair and balanced here. Soccernews is with Platini, and he's not happy about it.
  • EUFootballBiz checks in of the talk of UEFA wanting to ban clubs in debt.
  • RedCafe, a Man. U. lovefest, points out that Premier League clubs are the biggest offenders. Duh.
  • MelbourneVictory lays out the gruesome debt numbers.
  • And for you salary cap lovers, I bring you MLSTalk, which asks the question: Is MLS Really Competitive?
  • MLS Rumors says UEFA may be looking at the MLS model. Really?
  • 101 Great Goals questions the viability of South Africa as the World Cup host.
  • Some People Are on the Pitch has something different, an analysis of the top division in Israel, and a look at some of the goings-on in Germany. Anyone manning big bridges for Jurgen Klinsman's car?
  • US Soccerspot takes a look at the USL title game and Puerto Rico's chances in the CONCACAF Champions League.
  • Goal.com blogs about Platini today as well, and points out that Platini laments the lack of identity the English clubs have. Riiiiiight.
  • Revisiting Newcastle, the NUFCblog looks into player recruitment executive Tony Jiminez's departure. Sounds like this is the first step toward good health for Toon town.
  • Newcastle United Mad, meanwhile, takes a shot at Spurs' players whining that some in the press have labeled them a laughingstock. Toughen up says NUM.
  • Some actually thought Joe Kinnear's profane outburst last week was a good thing. Right Footballpools?

Subscribe to Starting Eleven

No comments: