A referee is supposed to stay out of the way, call a game fairly and objectively and not influence the game in either direction. You blew it Koman Couilibaly. Your phantom foul/offside call that wiped out Maurice Edu's go-ahead goal against Slovenia today was horrific. A clusterfuck of Biblical proportions.
Now because of you Koman Couilibaly, the United States needs a lot of help to get into the World Cup's version of the Sweet 16. We have to root for England and Algeria to tie and then root for, gag, England to beat Slovenia. All because you decided to blow your whistle after you saw something that wasn't there.
I hate blaming the ref for a team's woes. The U.S. was pitiful in the first half; Tim Howard was out of position on the first goal, but I'll contend the U.S. defense, Oguchi Oneywu in particular, gave the Slovenia goal scorer too much room, was way too late in reacting to the realization he was going to shoot, and then to top it off, he leaned and ducked in the wrong direction. Howard had no prayer to stop it and the shot was well placed and very opportunistic.
On the second Slovenia goal, the diagonal pass was sensational and Steve Cherundolo and Jay DeMerit were on their heels leaving Howard exposed. No shot.
And that's what set the stage for Koman Couilibaly.
The U.S. sure as hell knows how to close out a game; if it ever figures out how to start one, they'll win the World Cup.
Some other random thoughts:
- Landon Donovan is a star; so much maturing and confidence and that goal is the goal of the tournament so far. He scared the Slovenia keeper into not even attempting to block the shot, which was hit with such pace and fury, I can't say I blame him.
- Clint Dempsey disappeared unfortunately today
- Jozy Altidore isn't a star, but he sure as hell thinks he's one. When he decides to play and go after the game instead of thinking it should come to him, he'll be the star he thinks he is.
- The U.S. defense; major suckage again. Though Cherundolo has been the best of a bad bunch. Oneywu? I just don't know about this guy and whether he'll ever live up to the hype. He just ain't that good; forever out of position.
- Michael Bradley, much better today and just a perfect finish to the tying goal. Bob Bradley's insertion of Herculez Gomez put a third attacker up front and freed up Bradley to own the middle of the field and finish. Credit Roberto Martinez of ESPN for that analysis -- spot on.
- Finally, let's go tie game today!